Ground check: Few enlightening thoughts I learned from my colleagues yesterday-
• ‘So what’ if Yogi is a goon at least he’s not corrupt.
• We have had enough with secularism, now it’s the time for Hindus to shine.
• Why can’t sth as simple as beef be banned when ‘other nations’ have far worse kinda bans/restrictions.
In short: everything is fine as long as the ‘others’ have to sacrifice their rights for the gratification of our communal ego.
This conversation could be taken as another example of post-truth era where facts do not matter because:
• Noone remembers which public office Yogi held earlier to prove himself an honest public servant.
• The idea of India secularism that prevents the ‘others’ from being made second class citizens is the real pain in the ass of these moderate Hindus.
• When it comes to justifying the culture of bans and prohibitions the ‘others nation’ they cite are obviously never the first world nations or even the second world nations but usually failed states like Somalia, Sudan and Pakistan.
I guess it’s the indication of a sick society that dreams of becoming the next superpower but wants its human rights to be just compatible with Pakistan and Iran.
They know who presided ’02.
They know who scammed soldiers’ coffins.
They know who scaled down military disability pension.
They know who lynched Akhlaq.
They know who keeps threatening women with rape.
They know who did Muzaffarnagar.
They know who accepts donations from beef companies.
They know people did suffer during demonetization.
They know who is in alliance with ISI.
They know there has been no development.
And I also suspect they clearly know who’s the ass clown.
But the fact is they just don’t care.
They don’t care because we are living in a post truth era.
“We Bosnian soldiers actually enjoy more freedom that an average American; we can take whatever we like, we can kill whomever we hate and we can rape any women whom we find attractive. We can do it because we are fighting for nationalist cause.”
A Bosnian soldier told this to Salvoj Zizek during the Bosnian war.
I guess we lived in a post truth era even during the early 90’s when Bosnian war was on its full swing when emotions were more relevant than truth itself.
Can’t we see a similar environment back here in India? Where a 20 year old girl is threatened with rape for having an opinion and the ‘veterans’ who came out in her support are being deemed anti-nationals by people who did nothing for the country except supporting a party that’s in bed with ISI.
But they can do it because they claim to be nationalists. They can do it because facts mean nothing in the presence of sentiments. Because we live in a post truth era.